The Most Up-To-Date Agenda Is Available On Our App!
Accessing The Virtual Event Platform Is Easiest On Chrome & On Personal Devices & Networks. You Should Now Have Received Your Joining Instructions To Join The Virtual Platform On 26th January. If Not, Please Call Us On +44 (0)20 3479 2299. Please Take A Moment To Download The Event App BEFORE The Conference Starts (See Below). To Test Your Tech Before The Event, Click Here >>
Any Tech Teething Issues? Quick Tech Fixes Before We Start!?
Don’t miss a thing! Please take a moment to download the mobile phone app BEFORE the event starts in case you do have tech issues with your main device so you can still participate whilst we resolve any potential issues. (“GIC Events” for Apple and “GIC Events All In The Loop” for Android – a few minutes max). It is quicker to contact us directly, than post on the discussion board if you are having problems! Please call us on +44 (0) 203 479 2299 or email email@example.com. Remember Chrome and home devices and networks work best.
08.30 Coffee, Registration & Informal Networking
09.00 GIC Welcome & Chair’s Opening Remarks
Jo Chidley, Co-Founder, Beauty Kitchen
Clean Beauty: Develop Beauty Products Which Tick Consumer, Formulation & Regulatory Boxes
09.10 From Concept To Market: Deliver Clean Products & Formulations Which Benefit Consumers
- As the demand and ability to make products more personal and specialised increases, keep pace with the products consumers really want to ensure commercial success
- Formulate to maintain the core functionality of a product whilst adding additional, potentially reactive components that consumers are demanding
- Tech, Apps or AI? How can personalisation be made more accessible to consumers and what data is available to determine how tried and tested novel methods are?
- Does individuality compromise legality? Explore considerations surrounding compliance in personalised products
Erika Monsallier, Principal Formulation Team Lead, Skincare Technologies, Oriflame
Natural Product Success | Panel Discussion & Q&A
09.35 Formulating For Success In Natural Beauty, Cosmetics & Skincare
- As more consumers demand natural, clean, organic, vegan or free-from products, how can we overcome technical hurdles regarding stability, functionality and expiration to deliver high-performance, high-profit products which fulfil claims and regulations?
- How can we overcome misconceptions or cater to consumer demands? How can we walk the line between the two?
- Navigate perceptions of natural to truly tap into the trend: is naturals the future paradigm of formulation or do synthetic ingredients still have a place in cosmetics?
- In and around the product: considerations for packaging of natural products to mitigate potential interactions with a host and consumer perceptions
- How can you achieve product consistency when working with natural ingredients which vary in quality, functionality and fragrance?
Gamu Mawora, NPD Technologist Beauty, Holland & Barrett
Quentin Chauve, Sales Director, Spectrums Europe
Emma Heathcote-James, Founder, Little Soap Company/Eco Warrior Soap
10.05 Rational Formulation Design: Approaches towards formulating with fewer ingredients
- Multifunctionality vs. multiple product skincare routines: how can R&D methods be adapted for both ‘one product fits all’ vs. targeted, tailored formulations?
- Cut ingredients and not corners: as many move towards formulating with fewer ingredients, how can products maintain the same efficiency and results?
- How to speed up R&D while satisfying consumer demands to get products to market quickly
Majella Lane, Senior Lecturer & Director of the Skin Research Group, University College London
10.20 Morning Break With Informal Networking
10.50 How Can The B2B Industry Adapt To This Using Digital Tools?
Susanna Groth, Marketing, Chemberry
Jasmine Shah, Product Manager, Chemberry
Marketing Vs. Science: Consumer (Mis) Communication | Panel Discussion & Q&A
11.15 Bridge The Gap Between Marketing & Science & Communicate With Consumers For Products & Campaigns Which Don’t Compromise On Science Or A Marketing Angle
- Science fact or science fiction: expose miscommunication between formulators and consumers to go beyond the marketing message and improve public understanding of good skincare and beneficial ingredients
- Inform consumers and challenge perceptions: as consumers become more demanding and directed by influencers, how can science and innovation regain the top spot for directing formulation and NPD?
- Make a stand against the tide of misinformation in the industry to ensure that consumers are clear on cosmetic regulations and what is and isn’t allowed to overcome the disconnect between the science in the product and what consumers perceive
Florence Adepoju, Founder, MDMflow
Abigail Burton, New Product Development Manager UK, Avon
Daniel Campbell, Senior Cosmetic Scientist - Product Design, Lush
Maylis Joppe, Former Vice President Innovation Excellence, Coty
Brexit – What Has Happened & What Do I Need To Do?
11.45 Iain Brunning, Head of Cosmetic Safety & Regulatory Affairs (Europe), Exponent International
12.00 Capitalise On Driving Forces & Macro Trends & Create Successful Consumer-Focused Products
- Improve methods to collect and leverage consumer data and behaviours for insights into what makes your customer tick
- Translate consumer trends and insights into successful product formulation
- CBD, sustainability, anti-ageing, multi-functional, blue light, gender neutral… consumers demand more from products, what is new and exciting?
- When science isn’t driving the industry; tap into the latest consumer psychology for strategies which influence purchasing
Jo Chidley, Co-Founder, Beauty Kitchen
12.30 Lunch For Speakers, Delegates & Partners
Regulations & Claims | Panel Discussion & Q&A
13.40 Keep Pace With Evolving UK & International Regulation For Compliant & Compelling Labelling & Claims Substantiation
- Proactive steps to tackle Brexit uncertainty around UK and EU legislation and changes in trade
- China, the US and new, emerging markets – keep pace with regulation updates globally for successful international product launches
- From halal, to free from, to anti-ageing, substantiate claims on pack to keep up with evolving consumer preferences
- What are the prerequisites to making claims? How can we then effectively test to support claims with clinical evidence?
Lauren Kempen, Product Technologist (Skincare, Suncare & Mens), Marks and Spencer
Ashwini Wasalwar, Regulatory Affairs Manager, Shiseido Americas Corporation
Capucine Martin-Phipps, Senior Scientist, Scientific Communication, Oriflame
Sustainability & Packaging | Double Perspective
14.10 From Ingredients To Packaging To Formulation Waste: Go Beyond Greenwashing To Reduce End-To-End Environmental Impact & Convey Your Green Credentials To Consumers
- A norm not a new? As the trend of the moment, what can be done to improve sustainability in formulation to retain eco-conscious consumer markets
- Beyond concept and creation, as awareness of environmental footprints increase, does more emphasis need to be put on biodegradability of products and how can this be done?
- Balance sustainable, recyclable packaging with the sleek look and brand image that the beauty and cosmetic industry demands
- Re-think single use, what is the potential of re-fills? Examine where this might be appropriate and highlighting the biological challenges to watch out for
Elsie Rutterford, Co-Founder, BYBI Beauty
Reinventing The Cosmetic Market With A Revolutionary Ingredient!
14.40 Reinventing the cosmetic market with a revolutionary ingredient!
- Disruptive Materials AB Overview
- Upsalite®: Invention, properties and value in color cosmetics
- The Science Behind Upsalite®: Well documented safety & efficacy data
- Upsalite®: Clean Beauty Alternative
- The Future for Disruptive Materials and Upsalite®
Mary Sundborg, Head of BU Cosmetics, Disruptive Materials
14.55 Microbiomes Updates: From Regulation To The Environment, Explore The Future Of The Microbiome
- As more and more people become aware of the microbiome, what certifications are emerging surrounding formulating for the microbiome and what does it mean to be ‘microbiome friendly’?
- Explore the host and environmental interactions with the microbiome and active or reactive states which can help or hinder the microbiome
- Determine the right overall microbiome strategy when microbiomes are as individual as DNA
- Will microbiomes continue to become more prevalent in the beauty industry?
Ahmad Khodr, Ph.D, Lead Scientist, L’Oréal Research & Innovation
15.25 Afternoon Break With Informal Networking
Colour Cosmetics & Covid-19: A Test Or Triumph?
15.55 Covid-19 & Colour Cosmetics: A Test Or Triumph For Scientific Communication?
• New skincare and beauty formulations for this new reality? With shifting mentalities, and an acceleration of vegan and natural products, ensure you are hitting the mark with your design and formulation products for sky-high engagement
• What are the new expectations for CCS formulation performance, and how do CCS formulations need to adapt to deliver them?
• Discover the novel opportunities for claims substantiation test methods and what this means for scientific communication strategies
• A digital focus in a now virtual world: position your brand on top with engaging and effective scientific communications which market new products and innovations for social and digital apps
Michelle Mangan, Scientist, Scientific Communication - Cosmetics, Oriflame Research and Development Ltd.
16.20 UVA and UVB Protection: Insights Into The Latest Consumer SPF Concerns & How Brands Can Formulate To Meet Their Needs
- As urban consumers become increasingly aware of exposure to pollutants and blue light, what are new and successful ways of formulating to protect against potential harmful effects?
- Meeting demand for multifunctionality: how to successfully incorporate SPF into ‘go-to’ daily products to exceed consumer expectations of UV protection
- What are the latest trends in anti-ageing? What are consumers looking for and what are current key formulations to achieve this?
Nataša Simonič, Product Development, Technologist Skincare, The Body Shop
16.45 Chair’s Closing Remarks & Official Close Of Conference
Jo Chidley, Co-Founder, Beauty Kitchen